Home: it is a word that describes many feelings. Is it where you grew up? Is it where you live now? Does it conjure memories that you want to bask in for ever or does it make you want to forget the past?
Does it remind you of a scent that when you smell it again you are instantly thrown back into the warm embrace of your family or does it make you want to run and hide?
For me HOME is a safe haven from the rigours of day to day living. It embraces me with the warmth that I need after a hard day of kid duties. Its mine.
My childhood home was a haven as well. Sure there were days it was a drag to get out of bed and face the world but I never once felt I did not belong. Evenings in front of the open fire snuggled with one of many pets, hot soup and "Young Talent time' on the TV..all these things represent home to me.
But now I have my own HOME...one made of mud sourced from our land, ( we did not build it tho) It is quirky and the closest I will probably get to living the hippy life style that has always intrigued me.
My HOME is warm and inviting. It is one of those places you will either like or not but to me it was love at first sight. Ok, so we moved in during winter and found it leaked, had rats living inside, no insulation and I think I cried for the first few weeks thinking what on earth have we done dragging 2 small children into this freezing filthy place. The rose coloured glasses came off pretty fast I can assure you, but I knew it had potential..lots of potential.
Hub is handy..very handy. I don't really think there is much he can not do when it comes to renovating so we began with gusto.
Slowly it began to take shape. No longer was it freezing, no longer did I have to take the boys to their grandparents to bathe as I could not bear putting them in the previous bathroom. There was light at the end of the tunnel.
The garden was and is my refuge. I planted and dug and mulched to create something I hoped in the spring would bring life into the barren soil. Spring did bring the first glimmers of what was ahead and it renewed my desire to continue.
So here I am 5 years later, older, wiser (I hope) and still finding little things within this place to make me smile. Even the bats that enter our home and gently brush our faces at night as they circle the room bring me that feeling of ahhhhh.
So I hope my curly haired boy and my blonde weed boy ( yes he is a bit of a weed..needs to grow) have the same feelings as they continue their lives. This is their HOME as much as mine and I truly believe they will have the same warm fuzzy feelings as I have.
Home IS where your heart is.
Cheers Dilly xx
But now I have my own HOME...one made of mud sourced from our land, ( we did not build it tho) It is quirky and the closest I will probably get to living the hippy life style that has always intrigued me.
My HOME is warm and inviting. It is one of those places you will either like or not but to me it was love at first sight. Ok, so we moved in during winter and found it leaked, had rats living inside, no insulation and I think I cried for the first few weeks thinking what on earth have we done dragging 2 small children into this freezing filthy place. The rose coloured glasses came off pretty fast I can assure you, but I knew it had potential..lots of potential.
Hub is handy..very handy. I don't really think there is much he can not do when it comes to renovating so we began with gusto.
Slowly it began to take shape. No longer was it freezing, no longer did I have to take the boys to their grandparents to bathe as I could not bear putting them in the previous bathroom. There was light at the end of the tunnel.
The garden was and is my refuge. I planted and dug and mulched to create something I hoped in the spring would bring life into the barren soil. Spring did bring the first glimmers of what was ahead and it renewed my desire to continue.
So here I am 5 years later, older, wiser (I hope) and still finding little things within this place to make me smile. Even the bats that enter our home and gently brush our faces at night as they circle the room bring me that feeling of ahhhhh.
So I hope my curly haired boy and my blonde weed boy ( yes he is a bit of a weed..needs to grow) have the same feelings as they continue their lives. This is their HOME as much as mine and I truly believe they will have the same warm fuzzy feelings as I have.
Home IS where your heart is.
Cheers Dilly xx

While I feel at home in many places, In a few countries, home for me will always be Tasmania. :) great post! Xo
ReplyDeleteThanks and I am glad that I think I have worked this out..happy to have you on board !! x
DeletePerfectly put!! Creating that perfect space for you and yours is a fantastic achievement. It instills that nurturing ideal for generations to come. That is a true legacy!
Deletethanks Ronnie..much appreciated..:)
ReplyDeletehome is where your story begins .......great blog Jill
Delete