This week my curly haired boy turns 9 ... yep 9 ...
Nine years have flown. People used to say to me " make the most of them as babies as you will forget about it as they get older" .. but me knowing better though..yeah right !! Ok so I now admit I was wrong. I know these memories are somewhere in the deep recess of my mind and at times something will trigger a thought to make me smile but when one gets caught up in the day to day taxi service of being a mum these things tend to be shoved aside.
My curly haired boy..what can I say. He is amazing ( and yes I am biased). I can see in him everything I wanted and dreamed for myself. I can see him studying penguins in the Antarctic, I can see him working as a vet or a scientist, I can see him taking his life on with gusto. But I can also see him learning the hard way what life has to throw at him.
I keep saying to him "don't wish yourself to grow up too fast .. enjoy being a kid".. but as we all remember we wanted to grow up so badly and he is the same.
I do see many glimpses of the 9 year old boy he is about to become. I see a maturity emerging, an eagerness to know whats happening around him, an understanding that the whole world does not revolve around him.
He has a natural affinity with wildlife..a real passion that is unique. An understanding of the responsibility that it takes to care for something. It is a gift and a strength of his personality that I hope we and him will nurture to his full capacity. Of course I want him to excel at school, to become a graduate in the field of marine biology or zoology but if he chooses to spend his days hugging trees or doing something that he truly wants and believes in, then to me he will be a success.
So to my curly haired boy I wish you a Happy Birthday. I could not be more proud of the man you are becoming and of the man I know you will be. Stay true to yourself, reach for the stars and PLEASE PLEASE don't ever chop off all your curls !!!
love Mum x
Cheers Dilly xx

No comments:
Post a Comment