Friday, 10 May 2013

A Friend

It has been a while since I have written.  Somehow life has yet again jumped in the way and I have found myself trying to get here but it not happening.  But now I'm back .. at least for a short time. 

I have been trying to think of something to write about, something that has meaning to me and I have come up with this:

Have you ever stopped to wonder what the people you went to school with are up to now?  How their lives have panned out or are they even still alive?  I have many times.

To be a friend you
must :
I know there are at least 4 people from my high school year that are no longer with us and I find this  very confronting.  Such young lives lost that could have in their own ways changed the world.  But what about those I used to hang out with? Are they happy.. rich.. famous? Or just average Australians like me raising kids and working for a living?

I'm lucky that I still have a circle of friends from that time.  We have all grown and forged our own paths, but when together again it is like time has stood still ... we can be the 16 year old teenagers we once were.. hopefully with out the pimples and permed hair !!!  I find it hard to comprehend that some of them have kids who are nearing the age of 20 !  I'm sure it was only yesterday I was 20 .. but here I am with a 10 and 7 year old.  I was a late bloomer !

It was only a couple of days ago that I ran into a friend in the dreaded "S word"  (see Blog ).. yep the supermarket ( yes I did have the Ferals with me too and yep they were FERAL..having a 7 year old cling to my legs and screaming while he scoots his derriere along the ground as I try to walk can be very.. how shall I say it .. character building !! ). 
 Anyway we got chatting and I realised that although we were never bosom buddies at school I really like this girl ! Its funny how time can change ones view and that we all do grow up.  She and I chatted about photography and a mutual friend.  We discussed our kids (of which one of each of ours share the same name.. great taste !) and generally just caught up.. It was great it truly was. She is someone I will definitely aim to see again.

There are some people from that time I would still run from ( read Blog.."It happened to me..Bullying ").  Time does not heal all wounds but we do move on.

I watch my Ferals attempting to make friendships and know how hard it can be.  The curly Feral does at times struggle with this.  He has a heart of gold but at times it seems he does not know how to show it.  I think it confuses him.  As for the Weed .. well he is Mr Personality and seems to cruise through.. he is one of the lucky ones.

I have made new friends during my adult life.. they are a crucial part of who I am now and who I will continue to be.  Most have seen me at my worst and at my best.  They have made me laugh and made me cry.  They are priceless. I know I have not always been the best friend I can be at all times but I will always be there if they need me .. that I can promise.

Life throws us many hurdles along the way .. its part of the experience of living, but sharing it with family and friends..true friends..can make the whole sometimes daunting experience all the easier.

So I say thanks to them for putting up with me, and to the new friends becoming nestled into my world welcome and thank you for giving me the chance to share our lives for hopefully many years to come..

         Cheers Dilly xx

No comments:

Post a Comment