Saturday, 23 February 2013

Hi ho hi ho its off to work...

What was your dream job when a child? Did you always see a romantic version of yourself saving the world or at least some little animal that was desperate for your care?  I did .. well the animal part anyway.  Yep I wanted to be a vet ..

The notion of saving some cute little puppy's life or rescuing a kitten from the jaws of certain death always appealed.  But reality is far different to childhood fantasies.  Very different.

Yep I did work experience at vet surgery.  I could inject my own pets and remove stitches, but the brain power to achieve this dream I did not have.. thus it never happened.

So what have I done to contribute to this countries work ethic?..well..where to start.

I moved out of home at 18 and travelled to the far ( in theory anyway) end of our state.. Hobart.  I manages to gain 2 jobs fairly quickly in sales.  One was great.  Clothes and local craft were abundant within this store and I also did some modelling for the owner.  The other.. well lets just say the result of that job still haunts me today.  I admit I was young and naive but I really did not need to be treated in the way I was as it really has scared me to this day as I do doubt my capabilities regularly.  No one should be treated like that.

Anyway greener pastures beckoned and I went to work in a department store.  This position had its ups and downs.. positives and negatives and in the end although I was made redundant, and at the time was totally shattered, it proved to be a blessing in disguise. 

Up and moved back to the other end of the state.. to my family.  What to do now?? I know! ..  I will travel to far flung places and explore a bit of the world.. but I needed money...

Apple picking.  For those of you who happily bite into a nice crisp apple and think.. mmm this is great.. please in the future spare a thought for the poor bugger that picked it for you.  This is one back breaking job ! There is nothing like a cold frosty morning dragging your apple collecting harness around with frozen fingers.  Climbing to the top of some huge wonky ladder that is placed with bated breath in a position that you prey will not topple when you are reaching for that elusive fruit at the top of the tree. It sucks big time !!! 

A snap of one of the
 places I work now

Its hard, its cold, its exhausting and it hurts your body in places that one did not even know existed .. but.. after a few days the body healed, the sun shone and the people were great so it wasn't too bad.  I can prune a decent apple tree and graft different varieties onto one..so I did learn something !  And it did pay my way overseas.

When I returned what to do then.. yep back to the orchard.  Didn't stay too long, and since then I have worked in science centres, plant nurseries (loved that ), theatre and now I work 2 jobs in retail and theatre/ catering.  I'm busy, I'm tired but hey I do enjoy them all. I'm lucky as they work for me and the people are great.

But the hardest job I have ever EVER done is one that I have been at for a few years now and can see no immediate resignation in sight.  yep I'm a mum ...!  The pay is nothing, the hours are 24/7, the duties involve EVERYTHING one can imagine and it never ends but, the smiles make up for the lack of pay,  the bed time cuddles for the lack of sleep and the moments of quiet when all is right in the home fix everything else.

So what have you done and what are your challenges that lay ahead?  I may not have reached my dream job and become the saviour of the animal kingdom but this is the path my life has chosen to go..and really it ain't too bad !

Cheers Dilly xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment