Sunday, 26 August 2012

Ferals and frogs

There is a feeling of Spring in the air.  That combined with the snow covered mountains and icy winds are the first signs that this season is fast approaching and I do love Spring.  One other sign of warmer weather to come is frogs... and the Ferals are rather excited at this.

Today is one of those chilly mornings after heaps of rain that one can hear croaks coming from the garden.  It is also one of those days the Ferals have headed off into the wild ( well actually just up the road to the overflowing streams that are cascading past our house ) in shorts and t-shirts on the hunt for Tadpoles. 

Feral with catch !
They have taken with them the dog, 2 portable tanks, my kitchen sieves and enthusiasm.  I can not help but grin at what they may discover.

I remember as a kid doing exactly the same thing.  Huniting for frog eggs and feeling their jelly consistency slip through my fingers.  Of catching different size tadpoles and examining them for signs of legs.  What fun I had.  Part of my childhood that I am glad is being repeated. 

So many Taddies!
 We have many frogs around our house.  Mainly the Ewing's Tree frog that we see climbing up our windows in the evening or jumping out from a pot plant when watering them.  I love them as they are a sign of a healthy environment and that is what I aim to achieve at our house of mud.  All to live in harmony with nature .. I hope anyway.

The Ferals have just returned with glee etched into their faces with lots of Taddies of all shapes and sizes.  The are currently sorting them into my kitchen bowls and have spread water everywhere.. but hey they are having fun .. cant say the same for the poor Taddies though !!

I do believe kids in today's busy society do not get to do enough of this exploration.  I know certain circumstances do not allow for this type of earthy fun but I feel given the opportunity all Ferals should at least catch Tadpoles once in their childhood ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment