Dogs have owners and Cats have staff .... yep that sounds about right to me. I work for my cats, they do not work for me. Such is the life of a cat owner.
![]() |
| Miss Maggie |
I grew up with cats though. We had an old black and white one, a ginger one who had a split personality between Jekyll and Hyde and a grey one who was rather thick in the brain area, but I can say they all fitted into our house with ease and all brought with them a personality that was endearing.
The Ferals ( kids that is ) had been pestering their dad to get one for ages. " No " was the continual answer ... " but why not ? ' was theirs.
We went to visit some dear friends one evening who have 3 cats. They are all cat lovers and they proceeded to gang up on hub and convince him of all the reasons why we should have one.
I figured with the likely hood of Lilly wombat leaving soon a cat would help fill the hole that she would leave behind. I don't know how we did it but the word " OK " came out of his mouth and although he tried to deny it we all heard it so the decision was made.. cat hunting we would go.
The following day I figured I better act quickly, so after bundling 2 very excited Ferals into the car a trip was made to our local RSPCA. Wow what a smorgasbord there was of cats to choose from. All colours. ages and hair lengths. I had decided not to get a kitten. Too much work and older cats are always harder to find homes for. A white cat with funny markings made himself known to us and the decision was made. Casper was on his way home with us.
I must say at this point Lilly wombat did not move onto another home, but continued to live with us..so we now had a wombat and cat.. perfect.
Casper wears enough bells around his neck to alert any poor unsuspecting creature that he is around and I like him to be inside at night to help protect our native wild life, although he has proved to be a great mouser over this winter.
Now, although Casper is a lovely moggie and can be very affectionate when he chooses to ... usually during the night when cold as he attempts to climb under the bed covers .. he is not what I would call a lap cat. So plot plot ... another cat was needed.
Again " NO " was the answer and " But why not ? " the reply. Surely 2 would be no more work than 1 ?. Hub was going away for 3 weeks so a plan was put into action. What could he do from another state anyway !!!
Trip to the RSPCA and we came home with a Tabby cat we named Maggie. Besides the fact that Joe dog is very protective of his Casper they all get along fine, and yes she is a lap cat. I think we are now done.
We have quite a few animals with in our menagerie now and I would not have it any other way. Hub continues to ignore the cats but that's ok with me.
So yes we are now cat owners. I have had my feet pounced upon and mice dropped before me. I have been smooched on during the night and have really come to learn that they are nothing like dogs. We are their staff. What they want they will get... but hey I wouldn't change it for the world.
I am quite prepared to be on beck and call if it means a warm purring body to snuggle with on these winter evenings.
Cheers Dilly xx

No comments:
Post a Comment