Nappies as we Australians call them, Diapers in other parts of this great world. An extremely important part of raising a child.. What do I put on the little dears derriere to catch all the delightful parcels that greet us parents on a continual basis?. Oh the joys of parenting !!
Before having a Feral I had never ventured into the unknown world of dirty babies bottoms. I was not, and still feel at times an overly maternal person. The thought of changing a babe sent me into involuntary gagging. Even with the birth of my beloved nephew I still had no intention of venturing there. I have never though had a problem with wipping the bottom of a baby animal ... explain that !!
They stink was my initial though .. Haven't we all wandered through a place to suddenly be stopped in ones tracks by the overwhelming pong of poo? I think so !
I remember being told that ones own child never smells as much as others. Ha I said to myself .. what a silly thing to say.. Ok I admit it ..they were right. My boys smelt like flowers compared to others.. Maybe the mothers instinct really does exist in me !!
The decision to use cloth or disposable..hmmm.. decisions decisions. Now I am a true believer in saving the earth from the atrocities that we humans choose to cause, but I am also a HUGE believer in saving my sanity !! As much as cloth nappies are reusable and have less environmental impact due to less tangible wastage... water can be an issue due to the never ending washing. I remember being told by a friend though that nothing gave her more satisfaction as a mother than seeing her pristine white glowing cloth nappies blowing in the wind from the clothes line. Nope I don't have that much pride with my washing .. my whites are usually a lovely shade of grey !
The decision was made to go disposable. My argument, besides keeping my sanity was , being on tank water I did not want to waste this precious resource .. liquid gold !
So what type to use ??
There are of course so many brands and types to choose from. It can be rather overwhelming as a new parent struggling through the shopping isle of the local supermarket. Bright lights and signs seem to call "Buy me !! " It can be very daunting.
We all do of course want to provide the best for our offspring. Parental peer pressure also has a way or rearing its ugly head.
What type do you use? .. is a question asked by many a mother. They may as well be asking what type of bloomer underpants one is wearing after the birth of a Feral ( answer..HUGE ! ). Everyone has an opinion.
There is the pre mentioned peer pressure from others that can be extreme. I must admit I started with the expensive brands. The ones that promise no nappy rash or leakage. The ones whose advertisements on the TV make it look like their product will enhance your life and fill it with fields of flowers that make you want to skip amongst them all the while praising poo catchers !!
I can confirm that no matter how expensive the brand that they ALL leak and can channel the number twos out with ease. I ended up using the cheaper brand..after all they only have to hold it for a short duration of time anyway !!
I learnt that a nappy can hold quite a considerable amout of number ones. If a parent can just hold off changing that bottom for just a wee (excuse the pun ) bit longer, then a nappy a day can at least be saved from the pile at the bottom of the garbage bin. Surley that must be environmentally friendly ??
As for the colour and texture of a babes digested food..well that is another story all together.. I never knew so many colours of the ' rainbow ' could come out of such a sweet faced cherub... and again all smelling of those flowers that I have previously mentioned because my Ferals did not ever stink !!!
I thought of this blog today as I witnessed a mother changing her wiggling daughter on the carpet at my place of employment. Yep that is a subject I thought to myself that should be discussed. I am not one to beat around the bush and I believe in saying it as I see it... so yep.. my Ferals did smell like flowers and all other kiddlets do pong !! But hey.. I am biased although I will quietly admit that I am relieved that this stage of raising Ferals is long gone... Now just to control the loo papers rolls..Surely they dont need to use THAT much !!!
Cheers Dilly xx
No comments:
Post a Comment