Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Blooming beautiful

Spring.. the sounds of birds chirping a familiar call. 
 The smell of freshly cut grass that suddenly grew overnight into a jungle.
The days of perfect blue to be followed by a sudden cold snap bringing snow and rain once again to this little state.  Spring.
I love Spring.

My garden is finally starting to awaken from its winter slumber.  All the hard work I put in is starting to show. Ok, I have to admit I am proud of myself, but its something I am passionate about.

Does anyone know
 what this is???
I get my gardening gene from my parents who inherited it from theirs.  I grew up in a lovely garden full of places to explore and hide.  This is what I wanted to give my Ferals.  A place of peace and space.  I think I have succeeded with this.

I love going plant hunting.  I used to work in a plant nursery and to me this was heaven.  I met like minded customers whilst in this job and some are still great dear friends.  A garden can bring people together.  It can bond those with the same passion.

Going plant hunting as said before is one of my favourite things to do.  One of my best friends shares this love and we regularly swap cuttings and roots of some strange plant that appears. To find something unusual is always fun and to see it bloom brings a sense of delight.

My mum was a propagator for years.  There is not much she can not grow.  I love to stroll through gardens with her as she pops a tiny piece of something beautiful into her bag to take home and grow.  It is a special time for mum and I.  To share and interest with a parent is a wonderful experience.

 Many have said to me that I must be a slave to my garden.  Nope not at all.  Yes it is hard work, yes it takes time and there are times I crash exhausted into bed after a day in the garden..but hey .. what a satisfied feeling I get even with all the aches and pains after a long day.

I love all seasons of my garden.  Spring brings with it the pure beauty of a loved garden but all other seasons still show their own delights.  Summer is probably the hardest.  The hot dry summers of Tasmania can be cruel.  I let my lawns shrivel in the heat, but we are lucky enough to have a dam next to us which we can pump water from.  I try to save my garden from the rigour of the heat.

I love my wisteria..
This is the best year
since I planted it
I hope I will still be getting dirt under my nails for many years to come.  To feel the freshly dug earth and to smell the goodness it is filled with brings a sense of being one with nature.  To see the work I have put in flower into fruition is one of my greatest joys.

 Maybe I sound like a silly old woman .. silly yes.. old.. lets not go there, but this is something I love.  I do hope the Ferals will follow in my footsteps and that of their grandparents.  What a great gene to pass down....

Plenty of room for
Ferals and friends




              Cheers Dilly xx


No comments:

Post a Comment