Sunday, 17 June 2012

A Room

What is your favourite room in your house?  A space that is special and comforting to you.  A room or even a square of you home that expresses who you are.  I am sure we all have one.

Mine is at the top of my stairs.  It is a landing that I enjoying being in even if only to pass through.  It is a space that I find comforting.  A place where I can go to stop the world for a few seconds if the need arises.  A place where the sun streams in and warms it with a soft glow. Its mine.

I have in this corner of my house of mud, a few things that are dear to me.  I have for instance an old Organ that belonged to my Great Grandmother that she played in the Stowport Church.  It is one of those you must peddle with your feet to build up pressure.  It does not work very well but I don't care.  I love it because it is my history, my families history.

I also have a plant that belonged to my Grandmother.  She passed 13 years ago and I have kept it alive for her.  It seems very happy where it hangs with all the others.  It is also placed next to an oil painting that she did for me.  It is a painting of magnificent Mt Roland from our previous home.  We had the most incredible view over this fine mountain and I can still see her sitting in my garden with an old hat on sketching this view.  I have a photo of her and it is one of my favourite memories.  I treasure it.

I have book shelves loaded with all my favourite stories to peruse through as I sit in my pod chair gazing out the window over my garden.  Joe  (dog ) likes to sit with me and scan the out doors for intruders.  He has a great view over the road from this spot.

My walls are covered with memories.  Photos taking up nearly every inch of space.  Pictures of when the Ferals were little, our wedding, happy snaps and photos of family. Photos with our friends from a trip to the snow and a picture of Lilly and Weedy Feral in bed together.   I also have a large picture of a  Sea Horse framed which I love too.  The whole wall space makes me smile when I walk past and remember these fun and precious times.

 From this space other rooms branch off.  There is the study which I am sitting in as I write this, a spare room that once the Weed slept in and the main bedroom.  Not every one would like our place as it is rather quirky, but it is to me a warm welcoming home ( I hope ! ). 

So what room do you love to spend time in?  What space is yours?  I would love to know about your little place of tranquillity.

                      Cheers Dilly xx

No comments:

Post a Comment