Wednesday, 13 June 2012

'Tis a season ..

Winter in our small state brings mornings of frost covered grass and frozen ponds.  Cold winds blowing in from the Antarctic freezing us to the core and making our noses run from the chill.

Cradle Mountain
Tasmania
 Frosts as white as snow blanketing the ground, sparkling in the morning sun.  Animals with their woolly coats blowing steam as they have their morning meal.

When I still had my horse I would love these mornings.  Going out into the paddock, seeing her dressed in her warm rug.  Putting my cold hands inside her blanket and warming them so they would work again.  Breathing in her familiar scent as I rubbed my face on her fluffy neck and watching the steam billow from her nostrils.  Mixing her warm mash with my hands that was tainted with the smell and taste of molasses and hot water.  I loved those days with her.  I miss them so much.

This year so far our winter has been very mild.  The Ferals are still wearing their shorts and T Shirts out side to play.  Yesterday they went swimming ( in their clothes ) at the beach while I sat warm in the car.  The look of delight was priceless and I did not want to ruin their fun.  A quick shower when home fixed the cold that eventually made its way beneath their skin. I love seeing them so happy.

Our home is heated by a wood fire.  I love the cosy feeling of this heat as I curl up on the couch.  It is a comforting heat.  A familiar heat that I grew up with.  It is a heat that penetrates into my body.  To watch the flames brings a feeling of home.  I even don't mind collecting the wood or chopping sticks if it means warmth.

Crisp winter mornings with sky so blue.  Days of wonderful light that shines around us.  The sun sitting lower in the sky finally makeing its way under our veranda to fill the rooms with rays of life.
I love winter.
We do have days though where it is bitter and depressingly cold.  It is a damp cold that can permeate under all the doors and work its way deep within our souls.  Days where we have ' black frosts ' that are so cruel.  Years ago I worked on an apple orchard.  The days of extreme damp and cold out there were unbearable as we fought to warm our selves on the generators that followed us as we pruned the trees.  I don't want to go there again.... although I can prune a mean apple tree !

We will get snow on the mountains in time.  Often this does not arrive until August or September.  I can see the mountains as I  drive around.  They stand there in all their majestic glory with white hats on, shining in the blue sky.  It is breathtaking.

I love winter clothes.  Scarves wrapped around and big warm jackets.  Hats and gloves to keep me warm.  The colours of winter.  The reds and burgundy's to brighten up dull days.  Wearing boots up to my knees that keep the chill out.  I love winter.

Waldheim Cabins
Soon though I feel we will see the tiny heads of spring start to poke through the soil.  It has been so warm surely it will happen earlier this year.  Daffodils ready to make their great entrance and herald the start of another season.  The smell of them wafting around a room making me smile. I am sure it wont be too far away.

We still may though have a late winter, but the  long range forecast is predictingng a warm one.   They have been known to be wrong !!.  I do hope for at least a few days where it is necessary to rug up and sip a warm hot chocolate.  To devour soups and other winter comfort food.  To warm up from the inside.

Curly Haired Feral
 chasing winter wombats
No matter how this season goes though I am sure next years winter will bring some surprises with it.  Maybe it will be the coldest one for years and we will be wishing for this current season again.  Who knows ?? But until then I will enjoy all this one has to offer.  I will head home and pour that hot drink and sip it in front of the fire as I fight for space with my four legged companions.



                  Cheers Dilly xx

No comments:

Post a Comment