Well, today .. the 21st of June ... in this fair country of ours is the shortest day of the year. A day of only 9 hours and 10 minutes of sun ( where ?? ) light. A day that is supposed to herald the middle of winter and then head us in the right direction of the promised warmer weather to come.
The shortest day as usual is a fairly cold bleak day. I sit here and look out my window at the naked trees which are just waiting to renew their spring dresses with the warmth. It is bitterly cold so finally I am able to rug myself up in all the wonderful cosy clothes that I love to wear this season.
Often it is not until after this day that the temperature really drops. The frosts start in earnest and the cold that can get under your skin really takes hold. Snow is more likely, bringing with it the icy mountain winds. This is the longest part of winter I think.
If you happen to be in the Antarctic, most celebrate the Winter Solstice. Days of never ending darkness again promising to return some light to the cold wind blown continent. The driest place on earth. The people who work in this fascinating place for months on end I truly admire, especially those who weather the winter.
In our small community we recognise this day ( or close to it anyway ) with a Chocolate Festival. All things yummy to tempt the most tough pallet. A day to try new flavours and sip that hot chocolate to banish the winter blues. It nearly always rains on this day and I think if it didn't the day would not be the same.
So today we will rug up and stoke the fire waiting for darkness to envelope us with its velvet blanket.
Maybe tomorrow I might be able to notice those few minutes of extra light but I doubt it. I know I will stop at some stage say to myself that finally the days are getting longer. To see the first flourish of spring poking its head out and the trees beginning to re dress is a comforting thought.
Enjoy this day as I will for tomorrow will herald a new beginning in this place we call home.
Cheers Dilly xx
No comments:
Post a Comment