Now don't get me wrong I do love my Ferals, BUT they are hard work. Two weeks of trying to entertain them while hanging on to my sanity by a thread will not be easy. Vino anyone ???
My beautiful boys are a joy most of time to be with. They are funny and loving. Adventurous and high spirited. Enthralled by the outdoors and can tackle most things head on. They amaze me with the little creatures they manage to find hidden under some rock deep in the bush and I admire their resilience when their adventures end up with one of them being hurt. BUT ... they are at times difficult to keep amused.
My curly haired boy is extremely bright. A thinker who does tend to think a bit too much. He has never been good at entertaining himself and often needs a shove in the right direction. "MUMMM I am bored " is often heard echoing around our house of mud. Ugh.." well find something to do " is my usual answer !!! "But there is nothing to dooooo". Now when a kid I did not have computer games. I did not have anywhere near the amount of stuff they have but I still managed to keep myself entertained. How things change. The Weed is a bit easier but when you put two bored boys together it is like lighting a stick of Dynamite and tossing it in a bag of fire works .. Rather explosive.
We are intending on taking them to a wildlife park and museum for a day. They will be going to friends places while I am at work and also attending a theatre production at the end of their break.
I will encourage them to relax and sleep in.. not likely though. The question is asked why we cant take them places like other kids are going. Why cant we travel to the mainland Australia for a holiday in the sun? Easy answer.. Cant afford it. I would love nothing more than to whisk them off to some exotic location full of pythons for them to see and reefs of wonderful fish to explore but alas the purse strings don't stretch that far. One day I say to myself....
![]() |
| Ferals being Feral !!! |
Rules I give myself for the holiday are as follows:
- Remember to breathe. Choose battles wisely.
- Purchase copious amounts of good Red Wine.
- Cook and get them to help ( as long as the mess is handled by them as well !! )
- Go bike riding and get them really tired so they will fall into bed with exhausted smiles on their faces.
- Drink copious amounts of the wine purchased.
- Have one on one time with each if able.
- Remember that when a child I loved holidays and try to make it a positive experience.
- Have school bags packed for next term way in advance to make the get away faster !!!
- Send them out side to explore and collect slugs and bugs.
- Love them no matter how crazy they make me and tomorrow is always another day .
Unfortunately their dad is working the whole holidays. They want to do 'Bloke' stuff but alas not being a bloke it can be rather difficult to fill that roll. I will be encouraging their dad though to do as much as he can with them in the evenings.
Hub said to me this morning which I think sums it all up rather nicely " School holidays.. what are we going to do with them for 2 weeks ? " ... What !! ... " We " I said .. "Don't you mean me!! " His time will come ... ha !
Anyway the holidays will end and I can guarantee I will miss them when the day arrives. I will though, be waving them off to school on their return and then if no one notices creep back into bed for my short ' holiday ' too.. Wish me luck !!!!
Cheers Dilly xx

No comments:
Post a Comment