Monday, 4 June 2012

The show must go on....

I love going to the Theatre.  It takes me to places that I have never dreamt of and transports my mind to places unknown.  It gives me the chance to imagine I am someone else and absorbs me into the story.  I love it.

I have seen many productions over the years.  Some professional and others local productions but I always take away something from each.

I am one of the lucky ones.  I work at the local theatre so I am privileged to see many productions.  Its is a fantastic job.  I have also been able to rub shoulders with the odd celebrity too ... this job has its perks !!.

But the theatre to me is more than that.  I have to admit I am terrified of performing on stage.  As mentioned in my blog " I thought I could dance " stage performances and I just don't get on.  It does not stop me though, being in awe of actors who positively shine in the spotlight.

Remembering lines while trying to compose my nerves is not a good look.  I always have to rush to the loo as stage fright takes hold for the umpteenth time.  I mumble and don't seem to be able to remember anything at the right time.  I don't think i was destined for the stage..

My Ferals love it too.  i have been taking them since they were babes and to see their faces totally memorised by what is before them is priceless.  They have watched shows based on their favourite children's stories and seen magic flash before their eyes.  " How did they do that? " is a common question.  The fascination is enchanting, and the innocence enviable. 

I actually prefer the theatre than going to the cinema.  Yes the cinema is fun but it lacks the  personal touch.  The feeling of being involved within the story line.  It amazes me so many people happily spend money on a movie but complain over the price of a theatre ticket when it is usually less expensive, and if not cheaper, it is defiantly more rewarding than sitting and watching an over sized TV screen.

The small city in which I work is a lovely place but many residents are reluctant to attend the theatre unless it is a story that is well known.  I have seen shows that have been incredible with only a small audience and have seen others that I would personally never choose to see and they have been totally booked out.  I realise it is personal taste, but we should support our local industry and step out into the unknown world of theatre more often. 

I have not unfortunately seen any of the large lavish productions that are produced in the Capital cities of other state of Australia.  I would love so much to see some.  To take the Ferals and to absorb all these shows have to offer.  One day, when financially able,  I will bundle them onto a plane and head off into the world of large theatre productions.  I know they will love it. 

For the time being though,  I will continue to support our local theatre.  I will also do my best to convince friends to come and see what we have to offer.  There are some fantastic kids shows coming and the Ferals are already booked in to experience the magic.  Quite exciting I think.

So to all you non theatre buffs out there.. give it a chance.  You may find you actually enjoy it and realise what you have been missing all this time.  Let your mind escape the day to day hum drum of life and slip into another world.  I can guarantee you that even if the show does not live up to all you wanted, you will still take away the feeling of having seen a live production and I think  it is an experience worth having.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment