Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Pain, Sweat and Gym


The GYM ... A place of sweat, huffing and puffing, toned bodies and disco music. Well that was my opinion anyway. But, and its a big but, it is also a place of bodies that are not toned, of normal people caring about their health and good friends made.  I love going to my gym.

The Gym I attend is not far from my home.  I can ride my bike there if I feel inclined ( Which is not often..too lazy ! ).  It is reasonably new, nothing super flash but provides all the necessary provisions for a good work out.

I have been going regularly about 3 years now.  Some days I really have to drag myself but when there it is guaranteed to make me feel better.
I do cardio for my heart mostly with the intention that will also help me loose those unwanted kilos ( and there are quite a few ) that never seem to budge, but so far that has not as yet happened. Maybe that has to do with the copious quantities of chocolate that are consumed .. for medicinal reasons of course !

I am unfortunately one of those people who only has to look at the word GYM to break out in a sweat.  As far as I am concerned there is no one at this gym that sweats as much as me.  It is not a pretty sight I can assure you but my theory is that I go to the gym to try and look better when away from it, not when at it.  All are used to my drippy appearance by now and those who don't sweat are obviously not working hard enough ..  I will stick to that excuse to make me feel better about the puddles I leave behind.

An instructor can either make or break a gym.  Our instructor may only be half my age but she is a Dynamo.  Always smiling, always happy and the enthusiasm on her face as she takes us for another round of dreaded lunges is priceless.  I would love to photograph her taking a class.  I am sure she would light up the camera !!  She is confident and a born leader in the gym world.. You go girl !!

I do say to myself on a regular basis that I am sure I can see a difference in my body shape.  In truth I know I am lying to myself but there has to be a benefit after all that bouncing, shaking and wiggling.  I know I am fitter than before.  I know that it has many benefits for my ageing body but I do just wish the gym fairy would beam down on me and give me the body of the century with out having to huff and sweat all over the nice carpet !!  The old fashioned way of sweating it off can be rather tiring I suppose but it does beat going under the knife !!

I have made many friends. All of us are there for the chance to improve ourselves but also for the friendships made.  We can catch up on who has done what and who's kid did that.  We can share stories and discuss food ( usually chocolate stories ).  We can talk about the weekends filled with kid soccer or just talk. 
We can laugh at our fumbling movements as we trip over our own feet and moan to each other when the Dynamo makes us work that little bit harder than we personally think our lazy old bones should.
But still I do enjoy it.

There are none of the fancy gym clothes parading at my gym.  We are a bunch of what ever is pulled out of the drawer first groupies.  Holes in clothes allowed and nothing has to match.  I have socks which once used to be white now gracing my feet a lovely shade of grey.  Gym shorts that have seen better days and tops that I hope the girls wont bounce out of.  Posing not allowed.

So, for the people, the laughs, the sweating and the music.  For the feeling of I am doing something to improve my quality of life for now and the future and for the laughs I get from another move badly executed are enough to keep me going back for more.  So I say .. bring it on !!  Bring on the pain, sweat and tears ( of laughter ).  Bring on the friendships and gossip.  I will take what ever the Dynamo has to dish out because I know there are times she will hand out choccies at the end to make it all worth while !!!
  

                   Cheers Dilly xx


2 comments: