By wildlife I do not mean the nights out on the turps to the sound of some wild band pumping out a tune that I am sure has heard better days.
I do not mean the kids dressed to so call impress members of the opposite sex, or the oldies ( that's me ) out to reminisce the days when we I was one of the younger crowd. Nope I don't mean that at all. I am talking about Tasmania's unique fauna. Our protected animals so different to any where else in the world.
If you have not worked out I am passionate about all that Tasmania has to offer by now I think you should probably read my Blog " Imagine a Place " and that will get you up to speed.
There are so many different species in our great state that I can not possibly mention them all. I have talked about my Wombat, Lilly, ( See Blog " 3 in the Bed " ) and could still talk about her for hours more but I wont go into that now ( although she is DIVINE !! ).
I have mentioned briefly Echidnas and Platypus ( Blog " To tatt or not to tatt ' ). These creatures are so fascinating I could spend a whole page on them too. Also our Tasmanian Devils are so unique and in so much danger of becoming extinct due to the terrible facial cancer that is decimating their population that there is an assumption they may be gone from the wild in a few years. ( I wrote of these in Blog ' Imagine a place ' ) There is nothing as cute as a baby Tasmanian Devil.
We are a State of natural wealth.
We are a State of natural wealth.
![]() |
| Me aged about 7 with an Echidna |
I was one of the few very lucky kids to grow up with all sorts of different creatures entering my home. My dad was and still is to an extent a wildlife rehabilitator. It was not unusual to come home and find a Platypus in the bath, an Echidna on the table having lunch or a Wedge Tailed Eagle being tended to after it was shot by some thoughtless person. We had Owls, Wallaby's, Possums, Native Mice, Sugar Gliders, Quolls and baby Devils just to name a few. Luckily my mum also shares this passion, so for my family it was an easy experience.
![]() |
| Penelope Brush Tailed Possum |
One of my favourite native animals is a possum. Now to some I know possums are nothing but a pest and I can see many shaking their head in disbelief, but to me they are far from that.
Possums are a marsupial ( means they have a pouch ) and are nocturnal. They are very very inquisitive and quite hilarious when you get to know them.
I raised my first Possum when about 12. Her name was Penelope and I LOVED her. A Brush tail Possum, black in colour with a bright pink nose. A Possum that arrived to our family wrapped in a leather jacket on a motor bile with a tough looking biker bloke who then ever so gently passed her over. She was love at first sight for me.
Penelope did not have much fur when she arrived but with lots of love and attention she grew rapidly. I would take her to school in my back pack on my bike to feed her during the day.
Possums are a great animal to have raised. They are friendly and affectionate. Yes. they are prone to piddling on you when least expected and are sneaky at getting into places they really should not be but I still do love Possums. I think I have probably raised around 15 of them.
The two main species we have are the pre mentioned Brush Tailed Possum .. called this due to its big bushy tail, and the much smaller Ring Tailed Possum. Both are delightful.
Not that long ago I was fortunate to come into the possession of 2 baby Ringtails which the ferals promptly called Fifi ( girl) and Fuzz (boy ). They were great fun.
![]() |
| Brush Tailed Possum scratched hands |
They would scamper all over the house and jump onto our bodies. They rode on the dogs back and would run up bare legs if given half a chance ... Ouch big time !!
Fuzz was a grey colour with a white tail tip but Fifi was a rare Red. Both beautiful, both so soft it was like touching a baby's fine hair. Both went to live on a reserve and as far as I know they are repopulating just fine.
To raise an animal is a rewarding and cherished experience. I know nothing can replace the natural mother but there are times, like last night, when it was bitterly cold and Lilly chewed on the door to come in. I was sitting on the floor in front of the fire and she climbed into my lap and curled up and went to sleep. Such trust, and I didn't even mind that she smelt terrible.. She was home where she belongs and that makes it all worth while.
Our native wildlife in Tasmania is unique and something no matter what we should endeavour to save. With many species a permit is required to raise them but if you ever have the chance and time to raise one it is a experience worth having.
So to all you possum protesters out there, yes they may eat your roses and fruit trees but next time you see one take a good look at their little faces and you will notice they are all as individual as we are. So I say go out side at night and have a good wander. Have a sniff for possum piddle and you never know what might sneak up benind you and place little paws on your legs.
Cheers Dilly xx
Cheers Dilly xx



No comments:
Post a Comment