Saturday, 19 May 2012

I am a Soccer Mum ...

Soccer is a word that sends a cold shiver down my spine.  Its not from the game its self but from knowing I will be standing out in the freezing elements with all the other poor parents while our Ferals run around chasing a ball in the hope it heads in the right direction of a goal.  Yep I am a soccer mum !

" Do you want to play soccer this year ? " is a question I ask the Ferals around the end of February.  It is always answered with a resounding " Yes !".  Deep breathe I remind myself....
So the preparation begins ....

Do we need to purchase new boots and shin pads?  Have they grown out of their socks and shorts?
YES YES YES YES !!! ahhhh... I knew this would be the answer.

Now the Weed is very easy to fit. Small feet, Weedy build and can still shop in the little kid area BUT the curly haired boy is another story all together.  For a child who is 9 he wears a men's size 10 shoe.  Now to put that in perspective, his Grandfather only wears a 9 and his dad an 11. 
 I look at him like a puppy.  One tends to check out the size of a puppy's feet to get some idea on how large they will grow as an adult ... well my curly boy is going to be HUGE !!
He has a fantastic grip on the earth believe me.  But with feet this size of course there has to be a down side.  Yep we have to buy adults boots.  So instead of purchasing boots that are a nice little price we now have to pay at least $100.  Not a happy mum I can assure you but these are the things we do for our offspring.

Anyway with all that done and dusted it is time to start training.  Of course they have it on different nights after school and as soon as they finish we have to dash off like startled Possums to the next round of activities. Finally we make it home again just before it is time for me to whisk up some miracle of an evening meal.  But these are the things we do.

Soccer training I must admit though can be quite amusing.  It is a great chance for the parents  .. usually mums ... to stand around and gossip while watching our future athletes of the century chase the ball around.  The Curly boy has a huge kick on him when he can actually be bothered.  The Weed would rather run around with his friends dancing some strange move while hugging his mates.  It can be rather comical, but it is good exercise and bonding for all involved.  This is also the time they hand out the dreaded Saturday morning rosters !!!!

Ok, so one Feral has a 9.00am game and the other has an 11.00am game on the first week ...  ugh.  I continue to read and then find some of their matches are at the same time but on totally opposite sides of the oval.  This will involve from me, some major manoeuvres through the "strong " crowd to be able to watch both play for at least half a game each.  I knew all that gym work would come in handy...
The games that are played an hour apart though can be the tricky ones.  How to keep 2 Ferals entertained in freezing conditions can be a huge challenge in its self.  I suppose that is why they invented coffee !!

The ground where they play really is in a beautiful part of our local city.  It is directly opposite a lovely, kid friendly beach and on a sunny day is just beautiful, BUT when the wind is roaring in from the sea, a thick white frost is turning into a black one and we are standing huddled under umbrellas being blown inside out I can assure you it is not a pretty picture.  The future soccer's stars though, will continue to run around in their shorts and t shirts oblivious to the weather as they aim to score the elusive goal.  Some times I think the saying  " no sense no feeling " does tend to apply !!

Both Ferals are on a $1 a goal as a way of getting some movement in their own personal games.  As yet I have not had to dip my hand into my pocket so I feel I will not walk away any poorer this season.  They try though I must admit !!

Anyway with the game over it is time to reflect.  They all line up to shake the hands of their opponents in a show of sportsmanship and then bolt to grab warmer clothes and a well deserved drink.
  The question is then asked " What is there to eat?  I'm hungry ' Knowing full well that a not so subtle hint has been dropped for a trip to some fast food place.  This decision will depend on the mood of the parent ie: me, after standing out in the freezing cold. A mood that may or may not darken my personal storm at the time asked.  50% chance either way on that one !

So we head to what ever destination has been agreed upon ( or what i have decided to be more exact ) and de frost.  Only to them realise it will all be on again next week.  Same place , probably different times and fingers crossed with better weather .. but hey ..  that's what being a soccer mum is all about and to be truthful I really do enjoy seeing the Ferals run with big smiles on their faces as their teams again miss that elusive goal.  Bring it on I say !!!

    Cheers Dilly xx

2 comments:

  1. I knew I moved to Qld for a reason...it was so i could lather myself in sunscreen while watching winter sports, trying not to drink all the kids Gatorade (they were'nt the only ones getting dehydrated out there)..and the only time i used a brolly was to shield myself from the sun ....a few days on top of Hobarts Domain must have had a huge subconscous impact in my decision to move I'd say...but Jill, its all sooo worth it..isn't it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is..but hey I like your reasoning for moving !!! Both not at soccer today tho..they were sick yesterday so quiet day today..have to make sure they are weel enuf to goto school next week !!! ahhh

    ReplyDelete