I knew I was pregnant with a boy. After coming from a family of all girls it was only right that I would have a male. I new nothing about boys other than they could be a handful and a wee bit challenging. This is something people like to tell you with a smirk on their faces as you wonder why .. Is telling you this a warning? Is it to prepare you ? or a" Oh you are so lucky" I dont know ..
Maybe it was all the time I spent wrapped around the toilet bowl praying for the sickness to go,( when they tell you morning sickness does not last long .. don't believe them .. its a lie !! 9 months of it all day, everyday ) and Hub would leave for work saying good bye as I tried to lift my head from the depths of the loo to manage a feeble "have a nice day", or maybe the fact that I started to look like the local whale fairly quickly that convinced me.
But a boy it was and there was nothing I could do about that.
My curly haired boy arrived amongst the fan fair of a Tuesday night. He did not look anything like I thought he would. NOTHING like I expected. I thought he would look like my nephew, dark like me .. but no, totally the opposite. Surely they had the right baby ? Was there a mix up? Nope he was mine. So he came home and life began with a boy child.
First thing to do do was learn to control that piece of anatomy that has a mind of its own. Do you put it up or down in the nappy ? I found that out pretty quickly .. down .. unless you want to spend your days continually cleaning up wet clothing or bedding and narrowly being missed by a stream heading in the direction of your eye... problem solved.
Then do we let him have dolls and girl toys to play with as well as the expected boy stuff? Yep, but I can honestly say the instinct to gravitate towards the boy toys was very strong. I did not expect that.
As for the curls. There was not a sign on his head that they would one day appear. My mum would wet her finger and touch his head and say " He will have curls". I thought she was dreaming, that it was the biased Grandmother wishing, but yep again she was right. A head of the most divine delicate curls grew. I was in heaven. I had curly hair as a kid but nothing like he has.
They say boys are more adventurous, more go- gettem. I will agree with that. I would watch mothers of girls sit and play pretty pink games with their daughters dressed as the most delicate fairies. I on the other hand would spend days driving around looking for diggers and any other piece of machinery I could find.
"Look there's a tractor and an irrigator" , the excitement was too much to comprehend. "OOO look there's a pretty pony with flowers in her mane!!" .. nup .. not interested. Where had I gone wrong !!!
I had a boy child who would not leave my sight, who would cling to me everywhere I went, but take him to a park and he would be on the most dangerous rides I could imagine for a little chap. I would stand there saying to myself " Hes a boy, this is what they do" as I wiped the panicked sweat from my brow when no one was watching and tried to maintain that air of .. its cool and nothing to worry about
When he was 5, I was lucky enough to win some money and we took him over the water in a plane to a place with lots of people and noise. We took him to a famous theme park where there were so many rides it was overwhelming. I showed him the pretty carousel with the lovely coloured horses to ride thinking of all the lovely photos to show when back home but noooo , he wanted to go on the ghost train, the roller coaster , the boat of doom !!! So I stood there with the forced smile as he and his dad did some blokes bonding on the rides that I personally would have peed my pants over. He on the other hand wanted to go again and again.
The inbuilt desire to destroy. Whats that all about ?? Take for instance, going for a lovely walk in the bush looking at all the trees and flowers, enjoying the tranquillity when all of a sudden you think you are being invaded but an army of goodness knows what ! The noise can be frightening and make you want to crouch into the foetal position in hope the huge monster will think you not at all tasty and move on . BUT then you turn around only to find your boy with huge stick ( bigger the better apparently ) in hand bashing his way through the scrub pretending to be someone off a TV show coming to save the word. Didn't he see the pretty flowers and cute toadstools? Nope .. Didn't I see the tiger about to attack me from behind with a wet fish? Apparently not ! Lucky he was there then !
My curly haired boy is very tall. The height of a 12 year old I have been informed. He has feet bigger than mine and can hand shoes down to his grandparents. He has a loud deep voice which can sometimes be heard over others saying the occasional inappropriate thing that will cause me to hope the earth will swallow me up mighty fast.
It is a fact that when boys hit puberty they get a 800% increase in testosterone... WOO HOO cant wait for that ! NOT !!. I fully expect the jumping off the shed, the chasing girls and really wanting to kiss them to start. A friend of ours who is a policeman came to say hi not long after we had moved here. He said he wanted to check out where we lived as he was sure he would be returning the boys at some stage. I think he is probably right.
I don't think I will ever understand the male species. Funny bunch of cattle they are. I live with an all male household. Even the cat and dog are male, but a wise woman once told me that she believes that you have the child you are meant to have, have the sex of the child you are supposed too and I think she may be right.
Who needs pretty pink fairy clothes anyway..!!
So to my curly haired boy and also my blond weedy boy ( he will be another story ), thanks for making me worry over all the things that have and are going to happen. But that it seems, is what having boys and being a mum is all about .
Cheers Dilly xx

No comments:
Post a Comment