That is a question I pondered for years.
Do I permanently ink my body with something I may despise further down the track?
Do I just do it to satisfy the curiosity that intrigues me about them?
Do I have a mid life crisis and just take the plunge?
I think I will do all these.
A tattoo was always something that other people did.. People of a certain type ..that being a bit rough around the edges. It was something that none of my family had ever really encountered. I wanted one so bad !!!
For years I would look at other peoples works of body art .. and if they are good they are most defiantly art... and yearn for one myself. I went close a couple of times but I knew through others that it hurts so chickened out. Figured I was too much of a wimp to even truly contemplate it.
I have seen beautiful flowers and and funny illustrations. I have seen symbols and names in foreign writing. I have marvelled over the delicate out lines depicting personal experiences that people have chosen to have placed onto their body's in tribute to those they have lost. I have seen things I personally would rather not have but in the end it is each to their own.
He did inform me that it was the most painful thing he had ever had done. What a wimp I said to myself ... he had not ever been thorough labour pains .. so if he could do it so could I !!
It made me want one even more ....
What to have?
Do I have straight black or coloured?
Where do I have it put?
How big?
Ooooo the decisions !!
My sister was up visiting and I mentioned it to her and she too was keen !! Lets go do it we decided. Sisterhood at its best !
I wanted something that represented me, something not too big and showed my love of Tasmania's wildlife. I thought about a Tas Devil footprint but to the average person it would have looked like a dogs. A Wombat? I liked that idea and if Lilly had been with us at that stage I would have taken a print of her paw and had that inked onto me, but in the end I chose an Echidna print.
For those of you that do not know what an Echidna is, well .. some people call them a porcupine although they are in no way related. They are small and covered in spines. They eat ants but the most amazing thing is that they are a Monotreme which means they are a mammal that lays eggs.
![]() |
| Tatt number 1 Echidna Foot Print |
How unique is that !! The closest living relative they have is the platypus and we have them both in our state. Also their hind paw print is amazing.. so that was decision made.
My sister who is fantastic at art drew herself a dragon fly so we were off !
It was slightly daunting I must admit walking into the studio to see all sorts of pictures staring down at you. People with tatts covering their body's waiting for more and here we were .. 2 girls taking a big bite of courage to have our first ones done. Gulp !!
We met the man who was going to ink us and he was covered all over. To be honest he looked rather scary but when we got going we realised he was lovely and I think he found us rather amusing.
I went first. Ok yep .. It did hurt slightly but I have felt far worse. Took about 15 mins and Ta Da.... finished .. I LOVED IT !! I wanted more NOW !! My sister had hers placed on her foot and it looks lovely.
We rewarded our selves with a big slice of chocolate cake .. because we could .. and carried on our happy way with our new tattoos bandaged in cling wrap.
![]() |
Number 2
Symbol of fire of which I am born under |
Ok I had caught the bug .. the one that sends you back for more. I had recently turned the big 40 so I felt I deserved another just for getting that far.
I thought about a symbol of the earth to tie in with my Echidna but in the end chose a symbol of fire as I am born under the fire sign. yep this one really hurt. I sat there with a forced smile on my face as it was etched into my back pretending that it was all great .. ouch .. was glad when it was over.
So I now have 2 and desperately want a third. I prefer odd numbers to even so am thinking of having my last name in italic writing placed onto my foot. I will do it in the near future I hope.
So I am glad that I waited until I was older and could make a choice that I am completely happy with. I am able to cover them if I so choose or I can show them if I want as well.
I know compared to many they are not very adventurous but for me they are perfect.
If you are considering a dab of ink I say .. go for it !!! You only live once and Hey .. whats a bit of pain for a great ending .. I don't regret it one little bit !!
Cheers Dilly xx


I went in today with questions and i'm gonna do it!!!
ReplyDeleteYahhhh for you...I will come with you if you want moral support..Will ask about another for me too xxxx You go girl !! xx
ReplyDeletewell my beautiful butterfly that was, now resembles something more along the lines of a "moth"!!! would love to have it renovated...but not sure about the pain factor involved. think I am getting soft in my "old age"!!!! ...Lib x
ReplyDeletehaha..just do it..short term pain..long term gain.. xxx
ReplyDelete