Sunday, 15 April 2012

In the Old (en) Days..

My kids still laugh at the thought and can not quite grasp I was born before a DS was an integral part of society.  Am I that old ??  Sometimes I look in the mirror and wonder who the hell is looking back at me.  Where on earth did that wrinkle come from?  That grey hair I am sure was not there yesterday and that a stronger bra is now needed to give the girls more lift than before.


A child of the 1970s.  Nearly a flower child.  It is still in me that desire to live off the land, wear long robes and flowers in my hair, but this is where my journey has taken me.


I was born when colour TV was not common.  I remember we had about 5 black and white TVs during a few years.  There was one that when you pressed a button on the set that it lit up and made noises resembling a space ship as it changed to one of 2.. yes 2 channels.  I thought it was so cool.  So modern, so OMG I cant believe I loved it.  But it is a memory worth smiling about.


My beloved Grandma was the first in our family to have colour.  Wow .. we would love to go to her place and watch the soapies that were popular at the time.  She eventually gave us that TV when she up- graded to a newer model.  It was great !


We had an old station waggon.  I recall going to the drive- in lying in the boot wearing my pjs to watch some movie.  Putting the sound box in the window and giggling with my sister as we rolled about the back. I wish we still had the drive in...
This car did not even have seat belts !  I was so excited when we finally got a car that had them..How cool was that !!


I remember when CD players came on the market.  I had my tape player, my vinyl record player .. what more did I need !!  Anyway CD players were not going to be around for long I remember saying to myself.
How wrong was I !!  That old tape deck is probably worth about $1 now but nothing still beats the sound of a vinyl album being played.


Computers .. huh??  What were they?  In high school we had the choice to learn about them or not.  I chose not, after all geeks were the only ones to use computers!!  So I now humbly apologise to all those who did computer studies back then.  Yep you were right I was wrong.. Phew .. feel better now  ..


I was thinking that my boys will probably never physically take a pen to paper and write a letter to a friend.
The joy of going to the mail box to receive a letter will most likely bypass them.  I loved receiving letters written on pretty paper with my friends handwriting on the envelope so I would know who it was from even before I opened it. Knowing that letter was written for me and only me.  It is a shame really.


I was born when people still communicated by phone.  Not mobile phones but real phones that you had to stick your fingers in the dial and spin around to ring the number.  We communicated through speech.  We just communicated.  Don't get me wrong, I do love my mobile phone.  It is only one of the basic ones.  No smart phone for me, and I do love to text.. those who know me can vouch for that,  but its still not the same as calling a family member or friend just to say HI !!


There are so may different gadgets out there now that my mind boggles as to why we as a society need them? We survived before and we could survive now.  Shock horror we might have to physically lift our bodies from the chair to change the TV channel !!! ...


I know its called progress. Its called technology and the brains that create it are amazing, but part of me still wishes for the simpler way.  The more personal way.  The human way of staying in touch.


So yes I was born before the DS, the WII, the remote everything.  I am sure technology will continue to advance and provide us with more stuff that we really don't need.  I also know I will continue to text and email. But I do remember and I wont forget !!.


What were you born before ??




Cheers  Dilly xx

2 comments:

  1. I was born before many things, but not dinosaurs. I'm loving the way you write, you have a terrific talent, and your stories keep flowing nicely.
    I remember the old Tasman Limited train which took me from Devonport to Turners Beach, so that I could attend a camp at Camp Clayton. I must have been about 12 at the time, and I thought I was miles away from home, and felt really homesick.
    Nowadays, it takes me 7 minutes to drive to Turners Beach, along a great highway.
    Yes, times change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep they sure do.. I remember going to Hobart on a train. I must have been about 6. Thanks for the compliment too..I means a huge amount to me xx

    ReplyDelete