Friday, 6 April 2012

Things that make you go yumm ..

FOOD ... I LURVE to eat . I love the way something so delicious can send ones heart into a flutter.  The way it can remind you of days gone past like when Grandma used to make the best apple pie in the whole wide world !!  How it can transport your salavating taste buds to a place of utmost desire as you peruse the counter at the local choccie shop.  It is a delight of the senses ... that is until I have to cook it ....

Its funny how when someone makes a sandwich  .. an ordinary ham and cheese sandwich that it always tastes better than mine.  Is it the way they smooth the butter (or margarine for all us health conscious people out there ) over the bread?  Or is it the way the cheese is delicately sliced and placed on its nest of ham that makes it so much better?  I know what it is  ...  its that I did not make it !!

Cooking and I have never been close .  It has always been a love hate realationship.  Don't get me wrong I love cooking , well watching someone else do it anyway,  but I have never felt that passion to just whip up some masterpiece just for the sake of it.

I have a great collection of recipe books.  I actually love to collect them.  They look great stacked neatly on show for those who care to view them.  They make me, in my own mind at least, look the part.  I have cake books, slow cooker books, kids cooking books and even a classic one by a former politicians wife who loved to make pumpkin scones !! I have the ones that say I only need a few ingredients and those that give me heaps of different ways with chicken.  I love the way their shiny pages just ooze with the possible aroma of the  feast they they are trying to convince me to make.
I  enjoy reading them and will at times have them out when someone is coming over to at least try and look like I know what I am doing.  Still, they spend their days accumulating dust until I feel the need to flick through them with the imagined desire to actually use them for their correct purpose.

I have used some though.  I go back to the old favourites.  I make the same fool proof chocolate cake for the ferals birthdays.  I make the same biscuits that we all like and I can even cook something that might look impressive to the untrained eye, but still the satisfaction of creating these does not give me a feeling of ' Oh I am a culinary genius and I must do more ! "  Nope, not even a teeny bit.

I am not one who thinks ahead for the evening meal.  I will have a brain wave about half an hour before designated chow time and reluctantly get to work.  The microwave is a great handy tool.  It is stuck on de- frost most of the time.  If it generally cant be created within half an hour than it is not welcome in this house.
I can guarantee that the feral boys of this home will have issues with certain foods as they get older.  They will never want to eat tuna again or a toasted ham and cheese sandwich .. poor buggers .

But still we must eat, must fuel our bodies for the days ahead.  I honestly would not mind doing a cooking course of some kind .. maybe 101 ways with mince or how to not stuff up a roast chook??, but still, have not as yet seen these advertised.

So I will continue to devour different foods and savour the smells of other peoples classic gourmet genius. I will continue to look at all the pretty pictures that my cooking books so generously provide and you never know maybe, just maybe I might even be brave enough to try something a bit harder than what I will think of for our meal tonight... just before its time to feed the hungry hoards.

Bon Appetite ! 

    This is one of my success stories at least !!                      

                         Cheers Dilly xx

3 comments:

  1. Finally a new post! LOL have been waiting... :)
    I'm just the same in regards to cooking. I used to get sent out of the kitchen so I couldn't cause any damage in there!
    The cake looks amazing. I like baking but don't like the mess to clean up afterwards!
    Hope you have a great Good Friday,
    xxx Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lovley.. I am going to have a couple of days off from posting so I can re charge the brain..give me till Monday and there will be another..thanks so much for your support and feel free to follow xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh alright then :)

    Let me know when you have a day next week so we can catch up!

    ReplyDelete