A clothing shop is a place that sends my heart into palpitations and the mear mention of it. It is a place that can instill fear into many a woman by just walking past. They are the places that sometimes make us face reality to our expanding sizes, to a truth that usually hurts. I do not enjoy clothe shopping but I lurve clothes.
The way they feel. The way they glow. How they call me in from the front window of the shop to just hover over them. The way the mannequin wears them so perfectly. Surly they will look the same on me because the tag says it is my size so it must. Oo I hope so !! WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!
I know I am the size it stated and I have not put on 10 kilos in the last 5 minutes !! There must be something wrong with me though to not look like that human doll in the next change room parading around in my dream outfit that does not even fit over my rounded hips. Ugh the frustration and I really don't want to have to go that dreaded next size up !! But then I have a thought...hmmmmm....
Maybe, just maybe the clothes are made a size smaller than stated. OOO I hope that is the case as I grab another dress off the rack by a different brand and yank it oh so carefully over my womanly hips ... and guess what !! It fits ... it really fits !! Yah for me that I have not gained those kilos that were hanging onto my posterior as the earlier outfit had suggested I had done. You go girl !!. My faith has at least been temporarily restored.
Clothes are really a reflection of our selves. How we dress can make or break a first impression. They can lift our mood when feeling down by putting on that glam velvet dress that has been composting in the rear of the wardrobe for years by still fitting into it and remembering a glamorous night gone past.
They can make us feel all cosy and comfortable as we slip on our ever faithful trackie daks that are moulded to the shape of our body and welcome us like an old friend.
They can make us feel confident to face the world if having a bad day. Knowing that even if I am run over by a bus I will at least be wearing great lingerie and clothing, so who ever has to cut them off to give me the breath of life might be slightly impressed ( as we all hope it would be the hunky Dr that was last night seen on the local news ). It can be reassuring.
I wonder why though, these places of purchase, of potential glammourdom do choose to give the client ie: me, the tiniest change rooms in which I am supposed to be able to stand on one leg while trying to remove my very uncomfortable shoes ( but they so so look great !) and put on the item of my desire? Why do they have curtains that never shut correctly so we spend our time trying to hide in the corner of our cubical away from prying eyes that we are sure are trying to catch a glimpse of the cellulite that is highlighted with the superb lighting offered? Not a happy camper I can assure you.
As for THAT dreaded lighting ... what twit would put flouro lights in these rooms of potential radiant beauty and totally destroy all that was envisioned? I hate fitting room lighting. It is cruel. It is designed I am sure, to show every tiny bit of body blemish imaginable. They make one feel that all those hours slogging away at the gym sweating like a pig have been in vain as its all still there!. Why why why do they punish our female form !! Ahhh maybe its so we do purchase the clothes no matter how terrible they look on us, so to cover all the lumpy female bits we are actually supposed to have !
I have always found it hard to find clothing that fits me just right . I have shoulders the width of an Olympic swimmer. I tend to look like a film star from the 1980s who was very much into shoulder pads when wearing items of clothing not designed for a broader broad like me. I have a very long waist so anything that is supposed to sit around my middle ends up under the girls. Jeans are often too short and dresses are either way to high or stop at a weird length that I have never seen in one of the latest woman's magazines, and as we all know they our governing style guru's.
It is frustrating for me and I can be sure it is the same for all of us being different shapes and sizes.
None of us are a perfect size 12, 14, 16. Clothing it appears is not designed for the real shape of the female. They often highlight the bits one should hide or forget about showing off the parts we are proud of. They vary in size dramatically from one shop to the next and all the while making you feel like you must have that piece of cake that stares you down when you trudge again past the local bakery. Feel good food !
I have tried to change shape to fit into the dream dress. ( didn't work ! ) I have tried to wear clothes that end up making me look like mutton dressed as lamb, but I have now decided that I will wear what I am comfortable with, what I feel confident in. My own true style. So I do not have the body of the doll who is standing next to me. I do not look good in low cut jeans as my muffin has grown to a loaf of bread, but I do look good with a smile on my face and my favourite scarf wrapped around my neck for the winter chill, looking through the shop windows at what I might be able to wear .. one day .
Cheers Dilly xx
More great stuff drom Dilly, love it and well done. M.
ReplyDeleteThanks M .. much appreciated..Stay tuned xx
ReplyDeleteI loved it all sooo true !!! Nelly
ReplyDelete