Monday, 30 April 2012

My mother always said..and others too

Did your mother or at least someone you knew well tell you things to either stop you doing something or to encourage certain behaviours?  Did they tell you things to try and convince you otherwise?  I think we can all probably relate to that in one way or another. We are probably passing those same little antidoctial sayings on to our children now so it really is history repeating its self. 

Here are some of the funny but endearing things I remember being told.

1:  "One must suffer to be beautiful".  This was usually said as my mum tried to comb my birds nest of a hair doo as the knots became tangled and it hurt like crazy.  Yes I use this one today as I comb the ferals mops.

2:  " This place looks like a Babylonian Boozers Bazaar !!"   .. Used to describe a room of total clutter and kid mess.

3:  " If you are going to get your ears pierced why not get your nose done too !! " I remember my father saying this when expressing his distaste at my desire to get my ears pierced.. I got them done anyway !!

4:  " You will catch a cold if you stay out in the rain".  Well I can guarantee you that this will not happen.  A cold is a virus and rain is not going to give a virus to any drowned rat of a kid enjoying the delights of playing in a down pour !!!

5:  "Don't get too close to the fire or your kidneys will melt !! "  WHAT !!!!  We had a huge open fire when a kid and as our house was so cold we would all just about sit on it to stay warm.  I think there was another motive for saying this though... keeping us kids out of the way so mum could have the heat !!!  Smart woman

6:  " If the boys are teasing you then they must really really like you"   Well I am still not sure about that one.  I tell my ferals that now to encourage them to treat girls nicely as females are still a mystery to them.  Maybe for us girls it was a way of trying to boost our confidence when heading in to the hormone years of pimples and gangly legs !

7: " If the wind changes direction and you are still pulling that horrible face you will be stuck like that forever !! "  This is one we were all most likely told at some stage and have probably said it to our own off spring too.

8:  " No darling the cows are just giving each other a piggy back !! "  Ha ..That  was the easy way of getting out of a subject no parent wanted to venture into.

9:  " If you fall off a horse 7 times you will be classed as a good rider "   Well I am sure this was only said to save my  pride after I had taken a dive from my horses back for the umpteenth time. 

10:  " Blue and green should never be seen and never team red and orange when choosing an outfit "  Well they way fashion is going this year that is a statement that will defiantly go by the way side.  Bring on the colour !!!

11: " This isnt buying the baby a new dress !! "  This is one that has been used constantly for procrastination ..  A family favourite.

 I know there are plenty of others too but sitting here writing they do not want to recall themselves.  I am sure they will once I stop.  But these are the things that when a child we listened too and at some stage probably believed.  They can bring a giggle and a smirk to my face when recalling and I can guarantee most of these will be passed on to the ferals for them to pass on again.

What were you told  ???


                Cheers Dilly xx

2 comments:

  1. I always say "You know you're a grown up, when you hear your own Mothers voice coming out of your mouth"...how lucky are we to have such great Mums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha how true..we are very lucky xxx see you soon I hope xx

    ReplyDelete