I would of course grab the ferals, animals and photographs but I would also reach for a spoon.
A spoon I hear you ask? Yes a spoon.
It not an ordinary spoon by any means. It is old and very well worn. It is tarnished and ground down on one side. It sits lopsided on the bench and is dented. But this spoon belonged to my Grandmother and now it belongs to me.She was also an amazing 'old fashioned' cook. One of those cooks who still used all the butter and dripping. One that made everything from scratch. She made the most awesome apple pies and strawberry short cake. Tins of biscuits were always on hand for us grandchildren to devour. She was all a grandmother was supposed to be.
The spoon worked many a delicious cake into a masterpiece. Stirred home made gravy and hot custards that have never tasted the same since. This is why it is so worn on the rim ..
The spoon is a little reminder of her so when I reach for it from my kitchen drawer I marvel over all it has helped create. I just wish her cooking prowess was channelled through it !!
So to some it may just be a spoon. The ferals know all it means to me and have commented on its worn ways but they do seem to understand. She never met them but I know they would have loved her as much as I do.
So to my Grandma, thanks for the memories. Your spoon will be treasured and I hope to hand it down to a feral when they are older. Who knows.. maybe one of them will be a chef extraordinaire and the spoon will stir the way.
What would you save??
Cheers Dilly xx
I dedicate this to my Grandmother.
Today the 23rd of April is her
Birthday xxx
Hi Dilly,
ReplyDeleteLove reading your views on the world. Very strange but I seem like I know you even though I don't. Keep up the great work. Your family are very lucky to have you as a mum and wife.
M.
What can I say Dilly... .You have said all I would like to say and more. Thankyou for treasuring the memory of a beautiful lady. Hang on to that spoon as I do mine. xxxx Nelly
ReplyDeleteThanks M xx. I really appreciate all you say and Nelly xxxxx
ReplyDeleteI have one with very special meaning too Jill, it was my mothers and she actually lost everything in a fire when she was young so can relate to your views perfectly, great work. Hels xxx
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Hels.. These things of value dont have to cost the earth .. its what they represent to you that makes them priceless xx
ReplyDelete